Our Fixer Upper

Our Fixer Upper

Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Craiglist cabinet

So, master bath remodel is mostly done. But since we didn't change the foot print of the bathroom, I'm still in dire need of some storage. Enter craigslist.  Every single day I searched for cabinet or even hutches that would give me a similar look to a cabinet I found on restoration hardware.
And since we doubled our bathroom budget, I needed it under $100. And this pretty piece was 16 times my budget. The daily craiglist searches continued. Suddenly, there was a possibility. It had potential, but required a little fixing up. $40 and 30 miles later we loaded this beast in the minivan on a rainy day with the kids in tow. 
A little rearranging of children was required, but we made it fit. Love love my minivan. 

Then the real work began... Sanding. 
A power sander was used for the flat surfaces. Removed the glass from the doors and sanded the crevices by hand. Now this was used as a TV entertainment center (Musta been a small TV). Holes were crudely cut into the back panel so we purchased a piece of panelling to replace it.  

Then the painting began. My husband "borrowed" my father's paint sprayer and we primed it with this awesome product that we've used to prime each and every piece of stained woodwork in the house. I swear by this stuff.  It doesn't scratch off easily and holds up well with normal wear and tear. 
A professional painter recommended it and we couldn't be happier. After the primer was applied we sanded again. Then the first coat of pain was applied. Sanded again and a second and final coat was applied. 
We had glorious weather so a "kill room" wasn't needed this time around. 

Even Miss Lu was out to watch the transformation. 

Anyhow. Long story short, a $40 entertainment console, a couple coats of paint and few new pieces of hardware gave me a nice restoration hardware knockoff storage cabinet for my new bathroom. 


Just wanna give a huge shout out to my sexy husband because everytime I say "we" what I really mean is "he." He's the man behind my design transformation. In my defense, he is making ME sand the staircase. 

No comments:

Post a Comment