Our Fixer Upper

Our Fixer Upper

Friday, August 14, 2015

The staircase

The 80's were really bad for houses. I mean the construction is good, but the choice of stain was piss poor. Here is my grand oak staircase in the foyer. And some dipshit decided to put carpet on it. And we all know how I loathe carpet. And then the cat pissed on it. (Story of my life)

Well we have spent all our money on the new windows, exterior paint, the master bath, the new flooring etc. So basically we're dead broke. But my eye soarer is the first damn thing you see when you walk in the house. Every day I drive home, pull up in front of my beautiful house and then I walk in the front door and have to keep myself from vomiting. 

So when you're broke, and bored, and have nothing but time and few elbows that need a work out... You grab some sand paper, blue tape, paint and stain, put on your crappy clothes and go for it. Well, I lied about having nothing but time, as I do have to work. But, evenings and weekends and very patient children are a blessing. 

Now I have to preface this with my husband absolutely refused to lift one damn finger to help on this particular project. He instead rode his harley to Sturgis for bike week instead. (I'll get my revenge eventually).  But to his credit, he probably is worn out from all the tile removal and installing the new tile (which I did help with).  

Anyhow, I began sanding... And sanding. And sanding. Then taping... And taping. In retrospect, I probably would have stained first, but I didn't mentally prepare for that. 

Don't have a lot of during photos, because I was a hot mess about taping, painting (4 coats mind you), un-taping, re-taping, staining (2 coats) and un-taping again. 

Regardless, it's done, looks amazing, and makes me happy to have people come visit. We made a swinging gate to keep the dog off the stairs since he took a tumble down them twice. It's not the most pleasing thing to look at, but it works. 

No comments:

Post a Comment